The work of Rops, echoing the fin de siecle spirit which portrayed women as femme fatales, as destroyers of the world as it were, was summarized by contemporary Joséphin Péladan by saying that it represents “l’Homme possédé de la femme, la Femme possédée du Diable" (Man possessed by Woman and Woman possessed by the Devil).
Pornokrates illustrates the previously mentioned shift in 19th century culture from the persecuted maiden to the femme fatale trope.
Interestingly, if we follow Peladan’s analysis, man is possessed by woman, woman is possessed by the devil, it would seem that the devil is portrayed as pig. Arguing in favour of the woman: she is blindfolded and perhaps unaware who is leading her, giving her just a dash of the qualities of an ingenue.
I’ve written about my first exposure to this work back in 2007, here.
- dirtyimaginations likes this
- nudebits reblogged this from beelzebird
- beelzebird reblogged this from jahsonic
- loroedio reblogged this from jahsonic
- ernestopantin likes this
- miserysmalice likes this
- demoniality reblogged this from triste-le-roy
- triste-le-roy reblogged this from jahsonic and added:
- infernalmachines reblogged this from msbehavoyeur
- late-totheparty likes this
- faggot-gun-tango reblogged this from msbehavoyeur
- dispassionatecurator likes this
- contra-posto reblogged this from jahsonic
- wakameeeeeeeee likes this
- fotopolisbe reblogged this from msbehavoyeur
- muzeumerotyzmu likes this
- antediluviancurrent likes this
- lickmysoul likes this
- inscriptiones likes this
- infanteslibris reblogged this from jahsonic
- krishva likes this
- leroy-leeches reblogged this from msbehavoyeur
- miscellanymatters reblogged this from msbehavoyeur
- msbehavoyeur reblogged this from jahsonic
- casablancasyndrome likes this
- in-circles likes this
- thecounterpunchingradio likes this
- poboh likes this
- jahsonic posted this